Aussie Educator

Special Education

Special Education covers the education of children with particular needs. In this instance, we have concentrated on students who exhibit special requirements in the areas of behaviour disorders and learning, hearing or vision impairment. Gifted students, who also have specific needs, are treated separately.

Special Education provides programs and support through several methods. This may be through the regular classroom, with support of modified curriculum or additional human resources, placement in special classes within regular schools - which may be smaller in size, allowing for more individual attention or, if impairment is significant, it may mean placement in special schools, again with smaller class groups and other modifications.

In addition, other resources are available such as transport, building modifications, Individual Education Plans and technology, all designed to make learning as easy, enjoyable and effective as possible.

Even collection of data has changed, as can be seen through the Nationally Consistent Collection of Data on School Students with Disability process.

All systems prefer an inclusive approach wherever possible, taking into account the level of impairment involved, the special needs of an individual student and the needs of other students who may be affected.

This page looks at general information from all Australian states & territories.

You might also consider inclusions on the Special Education Resources page for possible options.

Neither page attempts to target specific impairments or disorders. These are found on other, specific pages.

States & Territories

Australian Capital Territory

New South Wales

  • Updated ! Disability, Learning and Support
    ‘Programs and services available in schools offer students personalised support to meet their individual needs’. Related sections include :.

Top of Page

Northern Territory


Top of Page

South Australia


Top of Page


Western Australia

  • Students with Disability
    Catholic Education Office. Enrolment, Support Centres, Support in schools, Transitioning, FAQs.

Top of Page