This page has been archived and is no longer being added to or maintained.
[pl. bullies] a person who deliberately intimidates or persecutes those who are weaker. [verb - bullies, bullied] intimidate.
- ORIGIN probably from Dutch boele ‘lover’.
‘Student Welfare refers to the promotion and maintenance of good learning, good mental and physical health as well as social well-being of students, and conditions which are conducive to these’. 1
Schools and other educational institutions have a responsibility to every student to ensure they have the best possible educational experience. As the above quote indicates, this is not just in reference to learning but also in respect of their physical and emotional well-being. This is becoming more necessary with the increasing access to, and use of, new technologies such as the internet and mobile phones. Cyber bullying and an increasing need for internet safety are becoming more common. Vigilance is also required with regard to child abuse of any kind, with teaching staff as mandatory notifiers.
Schools and other institutions have Welfare Policies designed to provide clear guidelines for all parties and including strategies involving all relevant parties - student, staff, parents and outside bodies where required. Samples of these are provided below.
This page looks at Student Welfare requirements and procedures in all states & territories.
States & Territories
Australian Capital Territory
Education and Training Directorate ACT
- Student Wellbeing
‘Supporting students to take positive action and responsibility for their physical, social, emotional, moral and spiritual health’. Related pages include :
- Countering Bullying, Harassment and Violence Policy
- Countering Racism in ACT Public Schools Policy
- Providing Safe Schools Policy
- Sun Protection
New South Wales
Catholic Education Commission NSW
- Protecting & Supporting Children & Young People
Guidelines for Catholic School Personnel. NSW, CEC.
- School Holiday Parent Kit
‘Ten fact sheets providing tips on avoiding holiday stress, safety issues and fun activities for the kids during school holidays’.
- Student Wellbeing [AIS]
‘Provides a wide range of services and assistance for schools in the area of student wellbeing’.
Department of Education and Communities
- Student Wellbeing [DEC]
Includes the following :
Program, links, contacts.
- Anti-Racism Education
- Bullying : Preventing and Responding to Student Bullying in Schools Policy
- Child Protection Education K-6
Curriculum materials, support resources.
- Guidelines for Mentoring and Supporting Students
- Peer Mediation
- Student Leadership, Student Representative Councils and Participation
An aspect of student welfare.
- Student Welfare Policy
Catholic Education NT
- Pastoral Care & Wellbeing
Catholic Education, Northern Territory.
Department of Education
- Behaviour Management for Students and Parents
‘Government schools follow a code of behaviour which sets standards and expectations of behaviour in schools, what is unacceptable behaviour and the consequences that may follow’.
- Code of Behaviour
‘Every school has a behaviour plan. This is developed in consultation with parents and the school community’.
- Health and Wellbeing of Students
‘Introduction; Student health; Bullying, cyberbullying and cybersafety; Social and emotional support for students; Student safety and wellbeing; Behaviour management for students and parents’.
- School Counsellor Services
‘Information on school counsellors and the role they play in schools to support students and families’.
Catholic Education Qld
- Student Wellbeing
Queensland Catholic Education Commission. Programs, resources, more.
- Student Health and Wellbeing
Education Queensland. Links to multiple areas and programs. Related pages include :
- Bullying and Harassment
‘Bullying, harassment, discrimination and violence are abuses of power that jeopardise the rights and wellbeing of others’.
- Code of School Behaviour
‘Being cybersafe and a good cybercitizen is primarily about learning how to behave in the online environment’.
- Fighting the School Bullies - What Needs to be Done ?
2008, N Dixon. ‘Studies the impact bullying has on victimised children, the bullying student and bystanders’.
- Learning and Wellbeing Framework
- School Health and Wellbeing Initiatives
- Student Protection
Includes procedures, related policy document listing, resources.
- Working Together Against Bullying
- Working Together : A Toolkit for Parents to Address Bullying. Links to YouTube videos and podcasts.
Catholic Education SA
- Behaviour Education
Catholic Education. Information, contact details. Related links include :
- Behaviour Education and Personal Responsibility Policy
- Care, Wellbeing and Protection of Young People Policy
- Child Protection - Cyber Bullying and e-Crime
Information, links, documents. You can download a Pamphlet here.
Department for Education and Childhood Development
- Health & Wellbeing [SA, DECD]
Includes behaviour management, child protection, cyber safety, more. Related links include :
- Bullying, Harassment and Violence
- Child Protection
Internet safety, policies, notification, students in care, resources.
- Child Protection in Education
Responsibilities, screening, curriculum.
- School Discipline Policy
- Student Welfare Policies and Procedures
Health Promotion, Managing Complaints & Challenging Situations, Bullying & Harassment, Child Protection, Grief & Loss. Access Critical Incident Flowcharts here.
Catholic Education Tasmania
- Anti-discrimination, Harassment and Bullying Policy
- Cyberbullying Policy
Department of Education
- Health and Wellbeing
Covers Cyber Safety Resources, Healthy Young People, other areas. Related pages include :
- Chaplaincy Guidelines
- Discipline Guidelines
- Health, Care & Wellbeing Policy Driver
- Learner Wellbeing and Behaviour Policy
- Pregnant Parenting Policy
- Health, Wellbeing and Safety
Catholic Education Office, Archdiocese of Melbourne.
- Protecting the Safety and Wellbeing of Children and Young People
Endorsed by government and all school systems in Victoria. This copy from the Catholic Education Commission.
Department of Education and Early Childhood Development
- Student Health and Wellbeing [DET]
Portal entry. Related pages include :
- Child Protection [Vic]
- Engagement and Wellbeing
‘Fundamental to ensuring children and young people to reach their potential. It should encompass both prevention and intervention strategies’.
- Framework for Student Support Services
‘Principles, arrangements and the additional resources provided to strengthen student welfare and support services’.
- Respectful Relationships Education
‘Provides guidance on good practice criteria required to achieve violence prevention and respectful relationships education in schools’.
- School Focused Youth Service
‘Support[s] at risk young people who require prevention or early intervention strategies to assist their learning, development, health and wellbeing’. SFYS Guidelines are found here.
- Student Engagement and Inclusion
‘Provides schools with information and resources to create and maintain safe, supportive and inclusive learning environments’.
- Student Safety
‘Drug and alcohol prevention, safety on excursions, child protection, cyber safety, support services’.
- Support for Disengaged Students
Identification, strategies, programs, links to further information.
Independent Schools Victoria
- Independent Schools Victoria Compliance Framework - Student Welfare
Criteria; components of appropriate student welfare policy directions; inclusions. Links to resources.
- Student Wellbeing
Multiple areas, links to further information.
Risk Assessment and Management Process. ‘An early identification and intervention process designed to improve the wellbeing and access to learning opportunities for at-risk students’. Fee-based.
- The Provision of Student Welfare in Schools Policy
Australian Education Union [Victoria].
Catholic Education Office
- Child Abuse Policy
- Dealing with Bullying, Harassment, Aggression and Violence [Students]
- Framework for the Development of Pastoral Care in Catholic Schools
Rationale, principles, elements. PDF document
- Information and Communication Technology Use by Students
Department of Education
- Statewide Support Services
Related sites include :
- Behaviour and Wellbeing
- Behaviour Management in Schools
Policy Statement, background, downloadable copy, related documents.
- Behaviour Management Policies
- Students Online
Policy Statement, document information, Contact information, downloadable copy.
- Safe and Supportive Schools
Bullying and cyberbullying. Resources.
- Students at Educational Risk Policy
Duty of care, Chaplaincy, healthcare, whole school approaches, more.
1. Senior Education Officer’s Conference - Student Welfare. MOET Vanuatu, 2014. Web. 7 November 2016. http://moet.gov.vu/docs/conference-papers/Students'%20Welfare_2014.pdf.