This page has been archived and is no longer being added to or maintained.
1. a group of people organised for a joint purpose. 2. a connection or cooperative link between people or organisation. 3. a mental connection between things. 4. the state of occurring with something else; co-occurrence.
- ORIGIN mid 16th century [in the sense ‘uniting in a common purpose’] : from medieval Latin associatio[n-], from Latin associare ‘to unite, ally’.
While most teachers would have an affiliation with a union, many also have links with one or more professional associations. These may range from curriculum areas to leadership, technology to non-government school groups. These provide support, discussion forums, sharing of skills and knowledge, professional development and also contribute to more effective curriculum implementation, teaching, learning and leadership/administration.
This page looks at associations and groups for Principals, Executive, leadership development, support staff, non-government schools, higher education, educational research and more, also at state/territory and national level.
The First Page looks at associations and groups for learning and curriculum areas at both state/territory and national level.
Parent associations are found on the Parent Involvement page.
Unless considered essential, no annotations are provided as association titles are considered self-explanatory.
Australian Primary Principals’ Association
Principals in government Primary schools.
- Australian Government Primary Principals Association
- Australian Primary Principals’ Association
Affiliated bodies are listed below.
- New South Wales [NSWPPA]
- Association of Northern Territory School Educational Leaders
- Queensland Association of State School Principals
- South Australia [SAPPA]
- Tasmanian Principals’ Association
- Victorian Principals Association
- Western Australia [WAPPA]
Australian Secondary Principals’ Association
Principals in government Secondary schools.
- Australian Secondary Principals’ Association
Affiliated bodies are listed below.
- New South Wales [NSWSPC]
- Northern Territory [ANTSEL]
- Queensland [QSPA]
- South Australia [SASPA]
- Tasmania [TPA]
- Victoria [VASSP]
- Western Australia [WASSEA]
Australian Special Education Principals’ Association
- Australian Special Education Principals’ Association
State bodies are listed below.
- Queensland Association of Special Education Leaders
- Western Australian Education Support Principals and Administrative Association
Catholic School Principals
- Association of Catholic School Principals [NSW/ACT]
- Catholic Secondary Principals Association of Western Australia
- Northern Territory Catholic Principals’ Association
- Association of Principals of Catholic Secondary Schools of Queensland
- Catholic Secondary Principals Association in South Australia
- Principals’ Association of Tasmanian Catholic Secondary Schools
- Principals’ Association of Victorian Catholic Secondary Schools
Catholic Primary Principals
- Catholic Primary Principals’ Association [WA]
- Queensland Catholic Primary Principals’ Association
- South Australian Catholic Primary Principals’ Association
Victorian Association Catholic Primary School Principals.
- Australian Association of Catholic School Principals
- Brisbane Archdiocesan Catholic Primary Principals’ Association
Independent School Principals
Includes Independent Primary School Heads of Australia and various state branches.
- IPSHA [New South Wales]
- IPSHA [Queensland]
- IPSHA [South Australia]
- IPSHA [Tasmania]
- IPSHA [Victoria]
- IPSHA [Western Australia]
Other Leadership Associations
‘The Association for Tertiary Education Management Inc is the pre-eminent professional body in Australasia for tertiary education administrators and managers’.
- Australian Council for Educational Leaders
- NSW Primary Deputy Principals Network
- NSW Secondary Deputy Principals Association
- Western Australian Secondary School Executives Association
- Preschool Directors Association of South Australia
- Principals Australia Institute
‘Principals Australia was set up as the Australian Principals Associations Professional Development Council [APAPDC Inc] in 1993 at the national conference of the Australian Principals Associations, to provide support for principals in their own professional development. It brings together primary and secondary State, Catholic and Independent principals’ associations’.
- Small Schools Association of South Australia
- South Australian State School Leaders Association
- Western Australian District High School Administrators’ Association
- Western Australian Education Support Principals and Administrators Association
- Women in Educational Leadership [NSW]
- Canadian Association of Principals
- International Confederation of Principals
- National Association of Elementary School Principals [US]
- National Association of Head Teachers [UK]
- National Association of Secondary School Principals [US]
- National College of Leadership
“Of Schools and Children’s Services [UK]”
- New Zealand Principals’ Federation
- Ontario Principals’ Council
- Secondary Principals’ Association of New Zealand
- South African Principals’ Association
- Australasian Association of Distance Education Schools
‘The Australasian Association of Distance Education Schools is the peak professional organisation in Australasia representing school level distance education’.
- Australian Organisations
Council of Australian University Libraries. Predominantly education oriented. Also access Australian Organisations - Library-related and International Organisations.
- Australian Professional Organisations, Associations and Societies
‘Click on a topic to find organisations in that area. Not a definitive list’.
- Career Development Association of Australia
- Council of Australian Postgraduate Associations
‘Member organisations include 33 postgraduate associations and the National Indigenous Postgraduate Association Aboriginal Corporation’.
State/Territory Peak Bodies
- Council of ACT Education Associations
‘38 affiliates representing over 4 000 educators’.
- Council of Education Associations of South Australia
- Joint Council of Queensland Teachers’ Associations
- Network of Educational Associations of Tasmania
- NSW Professional Teachers’ Council
‘47 member associations’.
- Professional Teaching Council of Western Australia
‘60+ associations represent[ing] over 9 000 teachers’
Open and Distance Learning Association of Australia.
- Professional Associations
Some national associations, but dominated by Queensland branches or groups. Queensland College of Teachers.
- TAFE Directors Australia
‘TAFE Directors Australia is the peak national body incorporated to represent Australia’s 58 public TAFE Institutes and university TAFE divisions, and the Australia-Pacific Technical College [APTC]’.
- Teaching Australia Network Associations
Major organisations. Links to other lists via the “About US” menu.
Higher Education Associations
- Association for Academic Language and Learning
‘Our aim is to provide a forum for professional development, networking, and information for the association which represents academic language and learning educators working in higher and further education institutions’.
- Australasian Conference of Tertiary Admission Centres [ACTAC]
- Australasian Council of Deans of Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities [DASSH]
- Australian Council for Private Education and Training
‘National association for independent providers of post-compulsory education and training’.
- Australian Council of Deans of Education Inc.
- Australian Higher Education Industrial Association
- Australian Teacher Education Association
- Australian Technology Network of Universities
‘An influential alliance of five distinctive and prominent Australian universities located in each mainland State’.
- Council of International Students Australia [CISA]
‘The national peak student representative body for international students studying at the postgraduate, undergraduate, private college, TAFE, ELICOS and foundation level’.
- English Australia
‘English Australia is the national association for accredited public and private English language colleges in Australia. English Australia promotes quality English language training and represents the interests of member colleges’.
- Group of Eight
‘The Group of Eight [Go8] is a coalition of leading Australian universities, intensive in research and comprehensive in general and professional education’.
- Regional Universities Network [RUN]
‘A network of six universities with headquarters in regional Australia and a shared commitment to playing a transformative role in their regions’.
Non-Government School Groups
Independent School System.
- Association of Independent Schools of the ACT
- Association of Independent Schools of NSW
- Association of Independent Schools of the Northern Territory
- Association of Independent Schools of South Australia
- Association of Independent Schools of Tasmania
- Association of Independent Schools of Western Australia
- Independent Schools Queensland
- Independent Schools Victoria
Christian School Groups
Other Non-Government Groups
Teacher based, professional development, “specific interest” groups and more.
- Association of Open and Distance Learning Education Providers
- Australian Council of TESOL Associations
- Australian College of Educators
- Australian National Schools Network
- Australian & NZ Society of Indexers
For those who make sense of, and prioritise, information for others.
- Beginning & Establishing Teachers’ Association [Qld]
- Education International
- Library Associations
Use this link to access the page on Teacher Librarians where a range of associations are listed.
- Teacher Learning Network [Victoria]
- Victorian Association for Philosophy in Schools
Research Associations & Groups
- Australian Association for Research in Education
- Australian Council for Educational Research
‘Provides state-of-the-art educational research, products and services’.
- Western Australian Institute for Educational Research
School Support Staff Associations & Groups
- Western Australia State Schools Registrars’ Association
- Association of School Business Administrators Limited
- Australian Secondary School Science Education Technicians [ASSSET]
Laboratory Technician group.
- CEBA : Catholic Education Business Administrators
‘CEBA exists to provide a support network and forum for members to discuss and exchange information on the business management of Catholic Schools’.
‘School Administrative and Support Staff Professional Association [NSW]’. Covering another important group who work in education.
- West Australian Association of Teacher Assistants