The following is not a complete listing of every world, or Australian, special day or event, only those felt likely to be of value to schools. Some major religion-specific dates are found here, but a more complete listing can be found through the Multifaith Calendar page.
Calendar events are given in date [then alphabetical] order listings for each month.
Where the date is not known at this time, we have used the code “TBC” [To Be Confirmed]. The actual date will be added as soon as it is known.
The date/events given for the months already completed this year, provide 2020 dates, where these are known.
“Year of … ” Information
The following is a list of “Years” allotted to 2019. They include international nominations as well as others such as the “Chinese Year of …”. Every effort has been made to include all major nominations.
The first group are Officially Nominated Years [International, e.g. United Nations, Chinese Calendar, … ]; the second “United Nations Decades of” ; while the third are those declared by a range of other bodies. A group of “Future Years of …” have also been added.
“Year of … ”
- 2019 The Year of the Pig
- International Year of Moderation 2019
- International Year of Sound 2019
- International Year of the Periodic Table 2019 [IYPT 2019]
- International Year of the Salmon [2019, Focal Year]
- United Nations International Year of Indigenous Languages 2019
“Decade of … ”
- United Nations Decade for Deserts and the Fight against Desertification 2010-2020
- Decade of Action for Road Safety 2011-2020
- Third International Decade for the Eradication of Colonialism 2011-20
- United Nations Decade on Biodiversity 2011-20
- Decade of Sustainable Energy for All 2014-2024
- International Decade for People of African Descent 2015-2024
- United Nations Decade of Action on Nutrition 2016-2025
- International Decade for Action on Water for Sustainable Development 2018-2028
- United Nations Decade of Family Farming 2019-2028
“Other Years of … ”
“Future Years of … ”
Listed in the same groupings and order as above. Others will be added as we become aware of them.
- 2020 A Year Without War
- 2020 International Year of Plant Health
- 2020 Scotland’s Year of Coast and Waters
- 2020 Year of the Rat
|1||Play Outside Day [First Saturday of every month]|
|1-28||HeartKids National Awareness Month|
|TBC||Chief Minister’s Reading Challenge : ACT|
|TBC||Premier’s Reading Challenge starts - VIC|
|2||World Wetlands Day|
|3||New Students begin Term 1 : ACT|
|3||Teachers begin Term 1 : Tas|
|3||Students begin Term 1 : WA|
|3||Teachers begin Term 1 : WA|
|4||Continuing Students begin Term 1 : ACT|
|4||World Cancer Day|
|5||Students begin Term 1 : Tas|
|6||Waitangi Day [NZ]|
|11||Safer Internet Day|
|13||The Apology : Anniversary|
|13||World Radio Day|
|TBC||Seniors Festival NSW|
|14||Library Lovers Day|
|15||Nirvana Day [Buddhism]|
|18||International Asperger’s Day|
|20||World Day of Social Justice|
|21||World Harmony Day|
|21||Mother Language Day|
|22||World Thinking Day|
|28||Last Day of Summer|